Over the years I have been asked many times, the following questions, or heard these statements. My short, incomplete (sometimes smart ass) reply in italics.
- What gun do you recommend for me to defend my family with? Depends on many variables. I may recommend a bat or pepper spray! Mindset is the first thing to work on…
- What can I do to make my home more defensible? Umm, lots, usually! Identify issues, plan for the worse, train, learn awareness skills. . . that is a start.
- What round has the most “knockdown power?” Ah Yes, mythical “knockdown power” – a 30mm cannon has some decent knockdown power. Check out the Apache gunsight videos on YouTube! Hollywood has done much to perpetuate this myth.
- If I have a concealed carry, I don’t need to worry about empty hand skills. Where do I begin. . . short answer is YES, one still needs hand to hand skills! Many people are weaker mentally, when they carry a gun. Weaker, because they think of the gun under their arm, as the only weapon they possess.
- I don’t want to kill anyone, if I had to, I would just shoot a bad guy in the arm. Good luck with that! Are you familiar with the effects of combat stress on your “skills?” Unless you are a Navy Seal or some type of highly trained operator, you simply do not have skills that will hold up once your heart rate hits 220/bpm, vision narrows, loss of fine motor skills, etc. Center Mass! Choose Life, aim for center mass!
- Open carry makes it safer for me. Really? In a dynamic, fluid environment such as a gun fight, the element of surprise is usually the difference between going home and drinking some lemonade or taking a long dirt nap! I will always choose to be underestimated in a fight. That is why I have chosen to look like an old, fat, bald guy!!
- If I am accosted on the street, I will just shoot him! You carry your gun in a holster, right? Are you familiar with the 21 foot rule? If you carry a gun, you HAVE to know this rule!
- Is it really THAT dangerous out there? Maybe, wouldn’t you prefer being ready? Read the news! The cops are pulling back because of the recent anti-cop sentiment. The bad guys are emboldened. Yes, it is getting more and more dangerous.
It became obvious many of the people I speak with simply don’t know some of this stuff. So, I wrote some curriculum based on my training and experience, then, I found many can not afford to pay $50-65/hour for this knowledge.
Over the next couple months we will discuss “knockdown power”, the 21 foot rule, weapon selection, open vs. concealed carry, etc. This info will usually come in bite sized pieces. I try to keep these posts to a length that can be read in 7 or 8 minutes. I will introduce concepts, then, I strongly recommend you do some of your own research… Ask questions below, make comments!
It became obvious many of the people I speak with simply don’t know some of this stuff. So, I wrote some curriculum based on my training and experience, then, I found many can not afford to pay $50-65/hour for this knowledge. Your safety, my friend, is ahead of the thickness of my wallet, so I chose a way that is free to you, my reader, my friend! This is not as exhaustive as a face to face training, however, perhaps you will pick up some things and will be better off for it! Stick with me, I will pass on all I have learned over the last 20 years of mindset and tactical pursuits!
Be aware, be prepared, be victorious!
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!
To be notified of following posts, be sure to hit the “follow” button!